Notice: This job posting is no longer active.
Orange County/Irvine, CA
Reporting to the Manager of Academic Planning & Development, Math Tutor provides non-classroom, academic instruction to students on an individual or small-group basis for proactive or remedial purposes. Math Tutor will assist students in improving academic achievement by meeting with them on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Other assistance might include reviewing class material, discussing the text, formulating ideas for papers, or working on solutions to problems.
part-time, hourly, non-exempt
Apr 5th, 2021
- Reviewing classroom or curricula topics and assignments.
- Assisting students with homework, projects, test preparation, papers, research and other academic tasks.
- Working with students to help them understand key concepts, especially those learned in the classroom.
- Teaching skills to improve academic performance, including study strategies, note-taking skills and approaches to answering test questions.
- Demonstrating academic best practices for specific subjects and assignments, including research and writing tactics.
- Developing and distributing teaching materials to supplement classroom lessons, including study guides.
- Conducting practice tests to track progress, identify areas of improvement and help set goals for exam preparation.
- Providing students positive and constructive feedback.
- Offering feedback on progress to students' parents and teachers where appropriate.
- A master's degree with a minimum of 15 semester credit hours (or the equivalent) in the related subject areas (i.e., applied mathematics, chemical engineering, statistics ) that support the general education curriculum content.
- 1-2 years of experience teaching adult learners, preferably in the proprietary sector of higher education.
- Ability to teach with a high level of knowledge, ability, organization and proficiency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Facility in relating to students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Conditions of Employment:
- The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required of an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Standard office setting.
- Typically, duties are performed in an office environment while sitting at a desk or computer workstation.
- An incumbent is subject to contact with others, frequent interruptions, noise from talking or office equipment and demanding timelines.
- The incumbent regularly sits for long periods, walks short distances on a regular basis.
- Uses hands and fingers to operate an electronic keyboard or other office machines; reaches with hands and arms; speaks clearly and distinctly to answer telephones and to provide information; sees to read fine print and operate computer; hears and understands voices over telephone and in person; and lifts, carries, and/or moves objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Professional opportunities in a growing organization.
- An organization that values and appreciates its employees.
- A highly competitive pay and benefits package
- A strong community service culture.
Stanbridge University is an equal opportunity employer with values and appreciation for its employees.
About Stanbridge University
Founded in 1996, Stanbridge University offers specialized degrees at the Master, Bachelor, and Associate levels in the fields of Nursing and Allied Health. Stanbridge is based in Irvine, California with an annual enrollment of over 1,600 students. For each year from 2009 through 2015, Stanbridge has been named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, the highest federal recognition a college or university can receive for its commitment to volunteering, service-learning, and civic engagement. In 2017, Stanbridge University was awarded the 2017 School of the Year Award by California Association of Private Postsecondary Schools (CAPPS) for outstanding educational practices among higher education institutions. In 2016, Stanbridge University was awarded the Gold Award for Excellence in Community Service from CAPPS for offering students quality higher education while simultaneously maintaining efforts to assist the local community. Stanbridge University has been selected as a 2014-2015 School of Excellence by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC), and also received its 2015 Excellence in Student Services Award for creating a comprehensive student services program that enhances student achievement outcomes. In 2013, Stanbridge University received the ACCSC Community Service Award for outstanding outreach to the local and global community. Institutional Research & Evaluation, Inc., has named Stanbridge University one of America’s Best Technical Colleges for each year from 2009 through 2016. For more information, please visit www.stanbridge.edu or call 888-789-6208.