Schedule & Courses
Schedule & Courses
48 Quarter Credit Hours (The approximate time to complete the program will vary according to the start and end dates of a cohort and ranges from 24 – 25 months including school and national holidays, breaks between terms and a two week break in December.) This program is delivered completely online. Students will choose from Nurse Educator or Nurse Executive elective concentrations.
Stanbridge University Online offers two specializations tracks: the Master of Science in Nursing with an education specialization and the Master of Science in Nursing with an executive specialization.
The Master of Science in Nursing with an education specialization gives you the skills and knowledge to give back to your community in both academic and clinical settings. Nurse educators work in bachelor's and associate's degree programs, healthcare staff development, continuing education programs, or public education programs. You will learn how to create a teaching strategy, design curriculum, evaluate nursing students, and integrate evidence-based practice and technology.
The Master of Science in Nursing with an executive specialization will prepare you for administrative and leadership roles in the healthcare field. These positions require skills in management, organizational theory, human resources, ethics, legal issues, and healthcare technology. Our program allows you to gain these skills to improve patient care and overall management of your healthcare organization.
Nursing Core (Required of All Students)
- Theoretical Foundations of Advanced Nursing
- Advanced Health Assessment
- Trends in Contemporary Nursing
- Transcultural Nursing
- Leadership, Economics and Management
- Leadership and Management in Nursing
- Analysis of Data in Nursing
- Research Methodologies
Nurse Educator Electives (4 of 6 courses required)
- Nurse Educator – Roles, Responsibilities and Relationships
- Teaching Strategies for the Nurse Educator
- Curriculum Design and Evidence-Based Practice Implementation
- Student Assessment and Evaluation in Nursing Education
- Integrating Technology into Nursing Education
- Educational Theory: Principles, Methods and Design
Nurse Executive Electives (4 of 6 courses required)
- Healthcare Finance and Strategic Planning
- Advanced Leadership and Management in Healthcare
- Human Resources Management
- Information and Healthcare Technologies
- Ethical and Legal Perspectives of the Health System
- Healthcare Policy
Capstone Courses (Required of All Students)
- Capstone I (Directed Research)
- Capstone II (Directed Research)
Master in Science in Nursing degree courses can be taken in a non-sequential order.
Before you get started, read below about prerequisites, credit transfers and the application process itself. Applications are free and accepted on an open enrollment basis.
Mission & Goals
- Prior to applying to Stanbridge University, please contact our Admissions office at 888-789-6208 or contact us here. Our Admissions Representatives will guide you through confirming your prerequisites and application.
- Admission to the Master of Science in Nursing degree program at Stanbridge University begins with having both a current, unencumbered RN licensure from the state in which you practice and a bachelor's degree in healthcare administration or related field or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from an accredited institution. Your Admissions Representative will ask you to send official transcripts from all universities or colleges and post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended to Stanbridge University (attention: Registrar). Please read the current Stanbridge University Catalog for more information.
- We also recommend you take the Online Learning Readiness Quiz to ensure that online learning is a good fit for you.
- Start filling out your online application form. There is no fee for this application.
Mission & Goals
The Master of Science in Nursing program further develops the skills and expertise of the baccalaureate-prepared nurse to lead and create change within the nursing profession through evidence-based practice and leadership skills. Using informatics and other technologic advances to innovate and meet the needs of healthcare organizations, graduates will engage in higher-level practice within many healthcare settings. These graduates will foster practice innovation, use of theoretical and evidence-based practice and develop excellence through life-long learning and leadership within healthcare organizations.
During the Master of Science program the student will:
- Analyze various nursing theories and evidence-based models that may be utilized by a masters-prepared nurse in a variety of settings.
- Appraise current trends in medical care and nursing that will impact the masters- prepared nurse in various milieus.
- Synthesize the principles of cultural competence, cultural diversity and culturally appropriate family-centered care for clients and families of a different culture or ethnicity.
- Analyze health care policy, financial systems, and the requirements of the regulatory environment in a variety of healthcare settings to influence care for patient populations.
- Summarize principles of economics, informatics and epidemiology in various settings for various types of clients.
- Appraise care for quality and safety and integrate the principles of quality and safety appropriately in all care settings.
- Compare and contrast various leadership theories and styles utilized by the masters- prepared nurse in a variety of practice settings including interdisciplinary collaboration between disciplines.
- Differentiate statistical methods and various research methodologies to influence care in a variety of areas of nursing practice.
- Analyze the roles of nurse educator or nurse executive as a masters prepared nurse while promoting lifelong learning personally and professionally.
Stanbridge University has built partnerships with hospitals and healthcare institutions to enable them to provide their employees with reduced tuition benefits. Stanbridge University offers reduced tuition benefits for employees and members of organizations throughout the nation. Partners include corporations, health systems, school districts and professional associations in a wide range of industries. The following are some benefits to being a Stanbridge Partner:
Recruitment and Retention
The Stanbridge University Online Reduced Tuition Program is a great addition to your employee and member benefit packages.
Professional Skill Building
Stanbridge University online degree programs will enable your employees or members to build upon their professional skills.
When your organization becomes a Stanbridge University Institutional Partner, you will be assigned a personal partnership advisor who will assist you with program implementation, promotion, applicant inquiries and evaluation.
Request more information.
Furthering your education is an investment with lifelong returns. A diploma or degree can open doors to exciting career opportunities, and greatly increase your earning potential. We understand that funding your studies can be overwhelming, which is why Stanbridge University has a dedicated Financial Aid team to guide you through various options and help identify the best financial aid package for your needs.
Our team is there to answer questions as you fill out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and plan your financial aid package. Stanbridge University has the following financial aid programs available to those who qualify:
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Direct Loans
- Federal Direct Parent (PLUS) Loans
- Sallie Mae Loans
- Cal Grants
Diploma and Degree Programs Transfer of Credit
Students may request an evaluation of their previous coursework for possible transfer credit, provided that before the beginning of their program at Stanbridge University, they give the Registrar of the university proof of satisfactory completion (such as an official transcript from a school that is regionally or nationally accredited, PACE and DANTES courses, a course of study or training in the Armed Forces of the United States) or American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendation, and equivalency of the coursework to the Stanbridge University course.
Students requesting evaluation of their transcripts must provide a description from the school catalog for each course for which transfer credit is requested. If the course description from the school catalog is not sufficient by itself to evaluate whether the course is equivalent, a course syllabus or outline of each course for which transfer credit is requested will be required. ACE credit recommendations will be considered only for General Education course credit, not technical or core course credit or Associate of Science in Nursing (ADN) program prerequisite science course (SCI prefix) credit.
Transfer credit will be granted only for those courses:
- for which a grade of "C" or better ("C+" in prerequisite science courses and "B" for nursing courses in the ADN program) was earned or proof of passing a vendor’s certification examination is provided; and
- which are determined to be equivalent in content and academic level to those required in the student’s program at Stanbridge University.
- Certain courses in specific programs may have to be completed within 2 – 5 calendar years of the date of the student's start of coursework at the university in order to be accepted for transfer credit.
For more information on transfer credit and information specific to the diploma or degree of interest, please read the current
Stanbridge University catalog.
US Military/VA Students
US Military/VA Students
Stanbridge University recognizes the heroic service and sacrifices that our nation's active and veteran military personnel and their families have made for our country. Transitioning from the military to civilian life and starting a career can be challenging. That is why Stanbridge University provides guidance for servicemen and women and their families to help them prepare for a degree.
For all US military veterans and eligible students, Stanbridge University will:
- conduct an evaluation of previous education and training;
- grant appropriate credit;
- shorten the training period proportionately; and
- notify the VA and student accordingly.